Biosynthetic Technologies holds a broad intellectual property portfolio with a broad range of claims directed to novel biosynthetic molecules, biobased lubricant formulations, catalytic processes, methods of manufacture and finished products containing biosynthetic oils.
The company’s core technology is exclusively licensed to Biosynthetic Technologies from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), which originally developed and patented this revolutionary new class of molecules while exploring new uses for crop oils.
In addition, the company also maintains ongoing research relationships with the USDA, several private research labs and three universities to develop, patent and commercialize other novel biobased chemistries to address specific industry needs.
- Over 35 issued U.S. patents, 20+ pending U.S. patents and 70+ pending and issued international/foreign patents
- Original molecule composition of matter patents assigned from the USDA create a broad barrier to entry
- Aggressive strategy to cover downstream products to maintain freedom-to-operate for customers and end-users
- International IP strategy designed to control costs and maximize protection in commercially significant regions
- Over 90% of portfolio will not expire until after 2032